Tuesday, February 12, 2013

[[ 30 ]] MLP

** This post is about accepting others with different ideas. In the poly community, condemnation is something we all have to contend with... sometimes in deeply personal ways. It's easy to have a philosophy of Acceptance, but when something strikes close to home -- anyone can find themselves challenged. ** 


My youngest son loves the new My Little Pony show.  He's 14.

Tall.  Handsome.
And I don't think he's gay. If he is.. that's fine. But I've seen him operate around girls: dude's totally slick.

But it's true... he's a "Brony".  That's what they call big boys who like My Little Pony.  It's a mark of pride, except when delivered with a sneer from those snide kids.... you know - the one's who are too cool for everything?
The ones who are all about putting others down for not being as rich.. or popular... or athletic... whatever.

I didn't understand it at first. So I did my best to be a good dad: I sat down and watched a few episodes of the new show. Admittedly, it's decent. It's certainly more clever and innovative than that show was when I was a kid. As a kid growing up in the 80's, I could have cared less about ponies.
I was into Voltron and G-Force, Robotech and Speed Racer.  Boy shows.
Batman and any superhero, really.  Star Trek, Space 1999, Star Wars.  Anything sci-fi.

But both of my sons dig "MLP".  To be clear, they also love HALO and CALL OF DUTY --- both of which they are brilliant at. Those are war games. Violent, fast moving shooting games. These appeal to men at the core level, and I've seen my boys employ strategies that would make a Navy Seal proud. They're usually the leaders of their clans, too.  Fierce and respected by their peers.

But currently... my youngest son's clan... is called the "Bronies".  Or something like that. And if you meet them in a game of COD -- they're likely to embarrass you.
Even so-
 ... when this was all first coming to my attention I was unsure of what it meant.
I didn't understand. Is this a "man issue"? Hey... I'm a big, broad shouldered lunk... with the kind of mug that makes people cross the street or look busy. So at first, it was a little tough for me to think of my son as being a devotee of a show that is not only devoted to children half his age...
         ...but also -- to little girls. 

Yet it was clear from the first few times that he saw the show, that he was going to be a fan. And after a while, it became evident that he is a superfan. He has ponies on t-shirts, stickers on his schoolbooks and he even draws them. Quite well, too!

It didn't take long for the obvious to set in: he **REALLY** loves that damned show!
So I did what any good father would do -
                                     - I chose to accept this, because I really love him.

I can't say I understand. Whenever the theme music comes on for the show, I demand that he put on headphones - lest I grit my teeth till they crack. But a moment later, when I turn back around and see him... eyes aglow and smiling at the antics onscreen... I know that it's ok.

Whatever it is.
It's ok.

And if anybody EVER tries to humiliate my son because he likes something tender, different and just a little odd...
        I will rush in on them like a hurricane-o'-bricks and 
              smash, smash, SMAAASH! their #$*&ing bones to dust.

Because I'm the proud father of a Brony.

-C.D.

Being True is what makes a Brony... a hero.

“Don't be afraid of your fears. They're not there to scare you. They're there to let you know that something is worth it.”  - C. Joy Bell

"Always be yourself.  Express yourself. Have faith in yourself.  Do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it. " - Bruce Lee


A brief amendment:



You know… its one of those things: prejudices can lurk in evasive ways, until a situation reveals it for what it is. When a thing strikes close to home, your human frailty can override your sensibility… even if that dynamic is only subconsciously applied. It can be sneaky.

I just didn’t understand the Brony thing. It caught me in a blind spot – and although I never said a thing to my son about it, I found myself quietly wishing he’d like something else. The reasons why were purely misogynistic .. but not overtly so to me. I literally found myself walking into that trap of: What if he gets beat up at school?  and other nonsensical clichés like that.
So I sat down, got online and did some research. 

Keep in mind, this epiphany took only about 2-3 weeks to surface: it’s not like this was a deep-seated thing. I just needed to examine what I was projecting, vs. what was actually taking place. My love for my son is HUGE to me… as is my love of other human beings and their right to personal happiness. 

The article came about because I recognized that although I’d never said a thing negative about the show, it was possible that I was subconsciously displaying my negativity. My son had tried to pull me into the show with him, and although I watched a few episodes – I was reluctant.  Having now accepted it, I wanted to address any possibility that my actions had made him feel conflicted or discouraged. This isn’t like he chopped down a cherry tree…  ; )  
So I wrote the article, somewhat glibly, but as honestly as I could – realizing that posting it publicly would be due penance.  And then, of course – I showed him that I had done so.  When he read it… he broke out in this tremendous smile, and threw his arms around me, saying “Thanks Dad. Thank you for supporting me!”

We talked about it for a few minutes. He was fine, of course. I’m the one who needed to grow from this.. lol!   
But… that was my point, yes?

Anyhow… thanks for taking the time to read this anecdote! I hope the story was entertaining and insightful.

-C.D. 

No comments:

Post a Comment