Monday, September 23, 2013

[[ 53 ]] You Make Jesus Sad

So... Jehovah Witnesses secretly refer to all Christian pastors as being in league with the AntichristAre you kidding me?!

I don’t agree with all of the beliefs of my father-in-law, who is a Christian pastor…  but I definitely don’t appreciate anyone talking about him like that.
 
I work with a woman who is a Jehovah Witness. She’s quiet and sweet and respectful. A hard-worker and a great team player. We get along, and to a reasonable extent, we’re friends.
She’s occasionally brought copies of The Watch Tower (a J.W. marketing publication) to me for review. Note that I’ve never talked to her about what I believe. I’ve made no attempt to express to her that I’m an Atheist and why. I already know my thoughts: I wanted to be 100% open to learning about hers... so I let her proselytize to me. I know she means well, and I can love her for that. She’s genuinely trying to be a good person. That counts.

But to think that her church would demonize my father-in-law is unacceptable. He’s one of the most devout people I’ve ever met, maybe even to a fault.
Even if I don’t agree with his methods, he’s certainly not out to ‘lead people to hell'!  Not even close. 
Nor is he “being manipulated by evil spirits”. He just made a choice for himself - and disciplines his life along those lines. That’s it folks!  It’s pretty simple.  
So to anyone who would believe him to literally be evil --- you’re projecting that. 
And you couldn’t be more wrong.  

~~~ *sigh*!!             [[ What is the general belief system of a Jehovah Witness? Click here ]] 

Maybe this podcast is incorrect?  It’s just one resource I happened across… I’m always exposing myself to others in an effort to gain insight. I’ve flipped through more than a few Watch Tower magazines, and I liked a lot of what they have to say!  They’re very positive and inclusive. This is the first time I’ve heard of them demonizing others who practice their faith differently, so hearing this revelation makes me think less positively of them.
How could she ever expect me to respect her faith, if she can’t respect his?

It’s lip service for a person to say that they allow others to be themselves – if they do so by shunning and demonizing them for it. That contradiction exposes a lie. Lies are evil, right? Tools of the devil? 
The other 99% of Humanity isn’t With you or Against you…  they’re just not you
My Father-in-law loves God. He once told me face-to-face, that this is who he isAll the way. Down deep.
Just like any Jehovah Witness, the man is just being the person he believes he must be.
 
I wonder, if she met him….. would she still be okay with letting people desecrate his character by saying that he’s some kind of devil?  Would they actively shun and speak ill of him behind his back?  --- would her faith require that she not even get to know him, yet allow her to speak of his character as being aligned with Satan?

I don’t get it.
But I know this: shame on anyone who practices “love” through such hateful projections. 
Such nonsense has nothing with the character of this man.
You could find many things to disagree with him about, but that’s taking it too far. It’s unfair, wrong and corrupt. 

I’m going to ask my work friend if her faith really does view other Christians this way. I hope it does not. If it does – I’m afraid my Watch Tower days are done....
I’m only an Atheist because I haven’t found acceptable proof of any deity. That’s not preference – that’s about SCIENCE and REASON, not my morals or ethics.  
Plenty of people are really wonderful, decent human beings; some just have different ways of demonstrating it.    

These people are Mormon. In my limited knowledge, their faith does have some peculiar aspects to it. But you know what?  I’d be willing to learn more before concluding that thought.
If these people are any example, the way they practice their faith seem pretty cool, and I think we could be friends. I’m certainly going to watch more of their videos!

However, I've not seen anything from them yet which would convert me to Mormonism. Just as I've not seen reason nor found motivation to go shark fishing, take up golf or master the fine art of needlepoint. But any of thes things might happen.. I don't know everything, so I'm open to sharing a table with them and laughing as we discuss life. 

If you don’t at least have that much love in your own heart – why bother talking to anyone else about God’s love?

- C.D.



*Amendment:  Well, I spoke to her about it today, right after work.  
The statement about the pastors (which comes at 58min/20 seconds into the video above) is correct. 
The denouncement of Christian leaders is a Jehovah Witness doctrine.

She said that there is only one truth -- and that only Jehovah Witnesses are on that path. Therefore, all other faiths are tricks and forgery, created by the Devil. She reinforced that while there is no Hell, the Devil is very real - and uses Christian pastors to mislead people. Since these 'holy men' should know that the Jehovah's are the only religion which correctly pleases God...  my father-in-law is therefore being compelled by demons, or is intentionally doing the work of Satan.

Wow.  I had to bite my tongue. 

I asked if it's possible that he's just confused. Or -- perhaps, like her, he's observing faith in the way he was raised. She doesn't think that's the case, and even if it were - it's inexcusable. The fact that he hasn't abandoned his way in order to accept hers, LITERALLY means that he is an enemy of God.  End of story.

She had a few questions about why I don't agree and I did my best to politely stay on topic when responding. This wasn't about me picking a fight: I had asked her to explain her viewpoints, and she did so very clearly. It was right to remain respectful and not attempt to refute or disprove her. 
When we were done talking however, I closed by expressing that this way of vilifying other people, even other Christians - despite their actions, a lifetime of devoted service, or without any regard for the condition of a person's heart -- would be an insurmountable obstacle for my consideration of her faith. 
Then I thanked her genuinely for her honest response. 

As she got up to go, she directed me toward their website ( http://www.jw.org/en/ ) and let me know that tomorrow she'll bring in some more copies of the WatchTower .  

No comments:

Post a Comment