Thursday, January 15, 2015

[[ 82 ]] Elastic Heart

This video came to my attention this week. Have you seen it?
Some would say it's controversial...   why is that?

What does it represent to you?


To me -- this is a story about Fathers and Daughters... the struggle those relationships often endure. She, fighting to be herself. Fighting him even as he tries to provide a love that she cannot or will not understand.
Then we see her eventual maturing. The slow acceptance as she tests him... only to find that he is a machination of inputs and outputs; for love forces us to play roles.
As the song plays out the two of them eventually find peace, and for a time - harmony.

But when the music ends, she leaves. Adult now, she is able to exist outside the 'cage' of structure and care that he had created to protect her.
He fights to hold her - she fights to pull him through the bars.
Then... he dies.

 ----- A father can never escape the love he has for his daughter.

At least.. that's what I recouped from this.
Maybe you see something different?

Art is opulent like that.    It inspires us to consider the things which are not obvious.  

Hope you enjoyed.
- C.D.

And here are some opinions from others, taken directly from the YouTube comments:

Stream


in Sia's own words, "these two warring 'Sia' self states." The video plays with Shia, representing adulthood and reason, and Maddie, as wild and at times vicious as a child or animal. Maddie plays the subconscious, our imagination, capable of attacking without cause, but also falling asleep in innocence. Shia seems wiser, but he can't control Maddie... and neither can he leave the cage of his own limits. The video makes us question who we like or hate more: reasoning or wild subconscious. And at the end, our dreams are trying to tug us free, but reason just can't get out.
7


The Meaning of the Elastic Heart Video plays upon which one of the two is more savage: the angered innocence of an animal (or a child) or the rage of the angry man. Their skin-tone dirty clothing portrays them at the same level. In the end, it's the man who's unable to escape into innocence, and the child wondering why he can't be free of his chains. While nature can be savage, only man can be as savage as gladiator matches of Rome, or the Hunger Games - the movie this song was originally written for.
My Take:
The meaning of Elastic Heart goes both ways. First, Sia claims you did not break me. On the other hand, she says I trust no one, I may snap, I can't survive. She's fought, she's beaten her ex (another one bites the dust), but she still asks herself, why can I not conquer love. How will she find love again if she makes herself impenetrable? Love means an open heart, not a thick skin and an elastic heart. Like Katniss Everdeen in the movie, fighting for peace doesn't bring peace. Love is being open, not being elastic. Peace isn't beating the other person, it's finding someone to share your heart with.
Read more (11 lines)
1

There's a reason Shia La Beouf is in this video, it's because this video is about him. He's playing himself, not acting
Reply
 · 
81
View all 16 replies


He's had a pretty rough life. (I'm obviously not talking about his success in acting, but his family troubles)
Reply
 · 
2


+smogo why would you think that? And how do you know? Curious
Reply
 · 
1

Guys, this is art. Everyone interprets art differently. Just like poetry. Anyone can think whatever they want.
Reply
 · 
96
View all 8 replies


you're absolutely right!
Reply
 · 


i agreeeeeeeeeeee <3 div="">
Reply
 · 

Cant tell who was trying to rape who....
Reply
 · 
17
View all 6 replies


Reply
 · 
21


Reply
 · 

The video is so cool, strange like always but cool :D
Sia is one of my favorite artists and inspires me so much!!
I covered some songs on my channell, check it if you want ;)
Thumb up if you liked, i'll really appreciate your support!!
Reply
 · 
83
View all 15 replies


+Zauger cared no one
Reply
 · 
4


Reply
 · 

I would love to be trapped in a cage with Shia. :3
Reply
 · 
31
View all 10 replies


+Anon Amoose yeah, so he's legal.
Reply
 · 
1


honey calm your sex!
Reply
 · 

The video is about how Sia's father suffered from Multiple Personality Disorder and how it affected their relationship and how they lived. This is why you cans see Shia's emotions range and change in an instant. There is nothing pedophilic about this video, instead it's actually really sad because as a child you don't know what is happening. This also explains Maddie's behavior. The cage represents how Shia (Sia's Dad) is trapped in his mind and his personality's while Maddy (Sia) is not.
Reply
 · 
85
View all 3 replies


lmfao no he didn't
Reply
 · 
2


+sdsdsad Sia has said herself: Growing up he had two very unique personalities. One was called Phil and one was called Stan… Phil was like the best dad ever… He was fun but he was eloquent and he was present and interesting and interested. When Stan came around stuff got scary,” 
Reply
 · 
1

Okay so obviously my first feeling while watching was pedophilia. But then I thought about the two individuals she picked to portray these animals... I think the cage resembles society as well as the "hollywood industry", we all know and hear about. but we never really know what actually goes on behind close doors. Look at Shia LaBeouf's career - he grew up as a child star, and became this great actor. Has had trouble with the press; and went through that whole "who am I?" phase every person goes through. Except child stars have to grow up in the industry, with all eyes' on them. And I don't know about you all, but there are some sick people in that industry. So maybe that has to do with the pedophilia feel this gives? Now Maddie Ziegler is in the eye of the industry. The ending of the video it shows Maddie can still escape - Shia can't. 
Read more
Reply
 · 
110
Hide replies


...but I'm not sure. I like videos like this 'cause they make you think.
Lastly, Sia is amazing. She is a good writer, and what a singer! Artiste!
Reply
 · 
1


My first thouht was a father and a daughters struggle. dident see any sexual tension. But every one se something diffrent i guess
Reply
 · 
9


+Wisti Johnston That is an excellent view! I didn't look at it that way, but I can see that now.
Reply
 · 


I so agree 👌👍
Reply
 · 
1


It's actually about Sia and her relationship with her alcoholic father, as she has claimed.
Reply
 · 
7


I like your point of view and I have a bunch of thoughts of what the meaning can be but I love the way this kept me thinking its as if I wanna keep it like that. I love this video and Sia's deep thinking
Reply
 · 


+Vanessa Kovacevska I honestly see that too. Thanks for pointing it out. Cause I was so lost through out the whole video!
Reply
 · 


I love your analogy on it. 
Reply
 · 


If you watch Chandlier and then this video I saw it way differently. An innocent child with no food to eat etc. And then this video where there is a cage the girl cant get the father figure out and she's pissed at him but still loves him kind of deal. I didn't see pedophilia...I didn't even know it was Maddie until people brought it up. I still don't see it but to each their own. I freaking love this video.
Reply
 · 
2


+Vanessa Kovacevska Where has she claimed that? Not on twitter. The statement on her website says "two warring self states of herself"
Reply
 · 


that's a really cool interpretations of this video, i really like it :)
Reply
 · 


One of the best interpretations ive heard/read. Love it, but now I'm depressed. Lol
Reply
 · 
1


+DULCEBAUTISTA I'm scared... XD
Reply
 · 

I'm not gonna lie , the video did give a pedophilia vibe here and there , but I know that's not the point/story , is about the different sides of Sia . The cage is probably a symbol of society , and the struggles with society and Sia's personality . And the flesh colored clothing is sort of a symbol of vulnerability between the two. Like everyone needs to get over themselves, I'm pretty sure Sia doesn't want anyone to be offended, ( but she probably likes the controversy )

  

No comments:

Post a Comment