Tuesday, June 4, 2013

[[ 42 ]] Ronin. Atheist.

The Ronin [[ Atheist. ]]




I’m not an Atheist because

- I'm mad at God
- or want to “do what I want” and “what feels good”
- or don’t want to go to church
- or enjoy the presence of evil in the world
- or lack a deeply committed spiritual side
- or somehow have come to think that all Christians are stupid
- or because I’m in love with my own willfulness, and unable to yield to a loving master.

None of these things. I am an atheist because 
I have not found convincing rational evidence for the existence of such a deity.

I’m open to being convinced, in the same way that I was open to being convinced about the existence of Narwhals, string theory quantum physics, or the usefulness of arithmetic.
I’m opening to hearing you out, in the same way I listened to the Beatles and grew to appreciate them, or learned how to speak from my mother and father.
I’m open to reviewing the facts – in the same way I’m open to reviewing the facts about Bigfoot, the first Moon landing or who shot JFK. 

But …that’s it. I’m open. Not obligated.

Pleading ‘special logic’ which requires that I acknowledge magic, will not work: I don’t believe in magic. I’ve not seen any reason to.
Requiring that I believe in something first, then build my world view around that sole narrative will not work. I share a wide world with many other beings; it would be arrogant to believe I've found the One True Way.
And judging or treating me differently because I don’t follow ANY religion - is about as ridiculous as sending a soul to hell because they don’t understand long division.

No rational, loving God would do so.
Including yours.
That's what I believe. Here’s why:

If a child doesn’t understand long division, you teach him – trying various methods until you hit upon the one which works for him. You may hold him back, give him special homework, or even assign tutoring. You may even have to fail him and require that he take the class again.

But you don’t alienate him, abandon him, disown him, demonize him and then- -
                                                                            – send him to burn for eternity.

If you believe in your God
Please…. show him the respect of not making him sound like a jerk.
He doesn’t need you to convince me of his existence. He can do that on his own, when he wishes to, as he wishes to. My relationship with him is not yours to wield or enact.
Likely, God just wants you to be a good diplomat. A good friend, mentor and teacher to me and everyone you meet. He wants you to represent his brand well! To demonstrate your faith through joy, with the same sort of kindness and forgiveness that you keep telling me he shows for all his children.

        ...Do you?
   

The lord that will have my fealty understands that I will question Everything
I will be fierce in doing so, and relentless in my review.  I am compelled to seek.

Thus my god would be present in Science! In Reason! And his demonstrations of Creation and Life itself would be as varied as the multitude of different fish he placed in the sea. Because variation in people, just as in all of Nature - is a demonstration of his wondrous and flexible spirit. 
He - or She
.. would only harm those who did harm, and separate only those who didn't respect the gift of companionship.
And only then, until they did. 
After all - he is god, not us. He demonstrates understanding first... then, we follow. 


Then, I could believe.   
This, I could accept...because a Universe built with the precision of a clock does not embrace Faith where Trust would prosper, nor need my blindness in a world so resplendent with different shades of light.    

Such fulfilling care becomes a path that I could walk
As myself...
Without "FEAR" and "OBEDIENCE" as my tithes
( .... why demand that when I would give Love and Loyalty as my offerings? )

I think God would value that. The patronship of a thinking man must have some value.
And I would cherish serving Him; my friend, protector and Master
Our message would be about inclusion, hope and fairness. Tenderness in all things, even fury.
For anger, like storms - can be just; as long as the intent is ultimately about healing, it will still yield water and growth to the land. 
It would be a better way -- 

-- better than the smallness and carelessness I have witnessed. 
The faith which requires that people not see through our differences, but be blind to our simularities.
The self-righteousness which separates families and scolds those who question confusing, oft-manipulated texts. Those empty words and prayers which ignore actions of peace, trading in any demonstration of their salvation for twisted versions of acrid dogmas and rigid fears. Protect the sheep... The devout I know only seem to accept the meek they can recruit. Otherwise, they do all they can to oppress and denounce the forsaken. ----  Who claims to love you without allowing for fellowship?   

Truth. Decency. Patience and Understanding. Every person ever born is affected positively or negatively by their experiences with these critical elements. 
My god would not ask that I trade my civility away for prayers... 

He would ask this: 
Even if you don't find me, son
Find yourself. And through that depth, find a way to be kind to others. I shared life unto each of you.
So respect it, and mind every soul ~but especially those hardest for you to understand; 
If your heart is open you might recognize that often - It is me, finding you
I am trying to teach you something. Something essential if you are faithful in your love for me.
For although every soul must journey, it was your attempts to Walk In Peace 
alongside those who are stumbling or were in your way
That made me proud of you.

Reasonable. Responsible. Clear.
-------------------- I have not found a deity yet who can deliver so simple a yoke.

So ... I wait. 
A man flowing with the waves, when loving 
And as the wave, when necessary.



Observant, listening and diligent. I wait for a call. My own.
Vigilant and Hopeful. Curious and Light-footed, I do my best to remain positive


 - but sharp as a katana across a blade of grass.

My lord would want me for what I am,
And call me to him, when he is ready to summon me by name 
Until then -- -


I, Roninathiest..   wait.



- Charles Dashing




ro·nin

 [roh-nin] 
noun, plural ro·nin, ro·nins. Japanese History .
a samurai who no longer serves a daimyo, or feudal lord.
Origin: 
Japanese rōnin  literally, ‘wave man’ (understood as ‘a man tossed around like a wave’)





2 Corinthians 13:11  Finally, brothers, rejoice. Aim for restoration, comfort one another,agree with one another, live in peace; and the God of love and peace will be with you.


“God does not forbid you to be kind and equitable to those who have neither fought against your faith nor driven you out of your homes. In fact God loves the equitable.” Qur’an:60:8

“A man is not called wise because he talks and talks again; but if he is peaceful, loving and fearless then he is in truth called wise.” 
― Gautama BuddhaThe Dhammapada: The Sayings of the Buddha


In China there was once a man who liked pictures of dragons, and his clothing and furnishings were all designed accordingly. His deep affection for dragons was brought to the attention of the dragon god, and one day a real dragon appeared before his window. It is said that he died of fright. He was probably a man who always spoke big words but acted differently when facing the real thing.
-- Tsunetomo Yamamoto - Hagakure


 If we are to teach real peace in this world, and if we are to carry on a real war against war, we shall have to begin with the children. 

 Mahatma Gandhi quotes  

Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
- Benjamin Franklin

The subject of philosophy is very ancient. The word means: "The love, study or pursuit of wisdom, or of knowledge of things and their causes, whether theoretical or practical."
All we know of science or of religion comes from philosophy. It lies behind and above all other knowledge we have or use. - L.Ron Hubbard, Scientologist

The unexamined life is not worth living. - Socrates

If we lose love and self respect for each other, this is how we finally die. - Maya Angelou

--------------------------------------------------

Truth is the same always. Whoever ponders it will get the same answer. 
Buddha got it. Patanjali got it. Jesus got it. Mohammed got it. 
The answer is the same, but the method of working it out may vary this way or that. ” 
--------------------------------------------------

To smash, injure, or destroy is the worst thing a human being can do. The real Way of a Warrior is to prevent such slaughter — it is the Art of Peace, the power of love.  - The Code of Bushido. The Way of the Warrior.

No comments:

Post a Comment